Monday, September 20, 2010

I can't believe what happened. It was horrible. I had to kill someone. Jan and I managed to get my things over to her apartment. We got everything set up and I was able to get reconnected to my pirated Internet. Everything was going fine. It was nice to have other people around to talk to. After a few days I decided to go back to my place for some kerosene that I had left there for the generator. I told Jan to stay and I would go alone. No sense risking more than necessary.

I headed out to my place. It was an uneventful trip. A few Draggers and that was about it. I didn't even have to confront any of them. I got the kerosene and loaded it onto my cart and started back. About halfway to Jan's place I was walking past an alleyway when suddenly I was on the ground. I turned around and my eye sight was hazy. There was a figure. It rushed me and as it came into focus I saw what it was. It was not a Thorpe it was a man and he had a pipe! He swung at me just as I rolled out of the way. The pipe struck the concrete and sparked. I scrambled to my feet and the man turned towards me.

"What are you doing?! Stop! We can help each other!"

He just lunged at me again with the pipe swinging wildly. I side stepped and with out thought I pulled my pick/hatchet from my belt and swung it. It sunk deep into the back of the man's head and he went down twitching. I didn't know what to do. I rolled him over. I shook him - shouted at him. There was no response. I had killed him. A man not a zombie. I had no choice. As I stood in disbelief the moans of the undead slowly started to register in my ears.

I started to come out of the fog of what I had just done and realized that the shouting and struggle had attracted zombies from all directions. I grabbed my cart and started to run. I only made it about half a block when I remembered the pick/hatchet. I turned back and sprinted for the body leaving the cart where it lay. I retrieved the implement and turned for the cart when a Thorpe grabbed hold of me. It flung me to the ground and I dropped the pick/hatchet. I struggled with it for what seemed like an eternity. I got hold of it by the chin and held it at arms length. My free hand searched the ground around me until it grasped the earlier attackers pipe. I struck the Thorpe in the temple sending it sprawling. I stood up and was filled with such confusion, rage, and fear that I pummeled it until there was little left of the head. I then pulled my pistol from it's flap holster and dispatched the Draggers that were close enough to be a danger. I rapidly made my way back to Jan's.

I still have not fully shaken the feeling that washed over me when I took his life. I don't know if I ever will. I don't know if I ever should...

No comments:

Post a Comment