Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Damn Generator

The generator quit on us! We've all been searching the surrounding neighborhoods for another one. After a couple of weeks with no results I went to a bookstore in a small shopping complex by our house/fortress and looked for a couple of books on small engine repair. I read three of them cover to cover and I felt somewhat less confused about how everything worked. After disassembling the generator I made a list of things that we would need to fix it. Kevin and I set out in two directions to get the necessary supplies for the repairs. When we returned we both had something to report.

Kevin was headed to a hose and fitting shop south of our location. Everything was going smooth. There were only a few draggers and he was making good time when he spotted a truck across a parking lot that caught his attention. The back window of the truck was covered in stickers from gun manufacturers so Kevin thought he should see if there were any gun related items in the rig. He approached cautiously as the truck was parked close to large metal building. He could hear muffled noises from inside the building as he drew closer to the truck. He peered through the drivers side window. He eased he hand onto the door handle and gave it a pull.

CAR ALARM!

The horn started blaring and the lights flashed. Kevin ran for cover at the nearest corner of the building and turned just in time to see a young man, probably not more than 20 and very "rough" looking as Kevin described him, rush to the truck. The young man sheathed a bloody knife he was holding, drew a pistol and began a sweep of the area. Kevin pulled back further behind the building to stay out of view. As he backed along the wall he felt something move at his shoulder. He turned to see Fingers sticking out of a grated window. He peered inside to see a swarm of undead in the building! The one at the window appeared to be trying to moan. Kevin looked closer and saw that it had a deep wound on it's neck. As he looked in he saw that all the zombies he could see in the room had the same wound. Someone was collecting and "de-barking" them. But why? He wasn't going to hang around and ask the young man about it. Moving at a steady run, Kevin got the fittings and came back to the house using a different route.

I discovered an equally disturbing scene on my trek to an auto parts store just to the east of Kevin's find. I made it to the store without any issue. I was gathering up supplies for the generator rebuild when I noticed faint music. I put the supplies in my pack and stuffed in a bunch of hand towels to keep the tools and parts from rattling so I could go out and investigate the music without being heard and without leaving the bag behind. When I got outside the music seemed to be coming from the direction of the park just past the store. Cautiously I crept closer. In the center of the park was a fenced in multi-purpose arena and that is where the music was radiating from. From a perch about forty yards away I pulled my binoculars from the pack and scanned the arena. What I saw I couldn't believe. It was full of people! As I watched I was confused about what they were doing. I scanned for a few minutes before I realized just what was happening. Almost all of them were doing drugs of one kind or another or were involved in some sort of orgy or a combination of the two! The music played loudly and the mass of bodies writhed in rhythm. It was - unspeakable. I packed the binoculars and made a very rapid return to the house.

We are planning to investigate these two locations further in the upcoming week. We are gathering supplies and studying every map of the area we can find to determine what will be the best approach for both locations - and how many ways we can get out if we need to. I will keep you posted on what we find. I suspect the two sites are related somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment