Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A way out?

It has been a rough month. We have been on the move since my last post and we've covered a lot of ground. I was not going to stop for a post but something has happened that I had to report.

We were looking for supplies; Bianca refuses to stay anywhere since her abduction and insists on scouting with me; when I saw something in the distance. We climbed to the fourth story of a building to get a better vantage point. Through our binoculars we saw them. Soldiers maintaining a blockade! They had trucks with US military markings and the same haz-mat suits I saw soldiers in my neighborhood wearing when all this started. There was a fence extending from both sides of the blockade that was manned every 100 yards or so by armed soldiers.

"Look." Bianca said as she pointed in the opposite direction I was glassing.

I swung my binoculars to bear on the guard post she was pointing to. A car was making it's way through the rubble in the street toward the post. The car stopped about 30 yards short, stuck in the remnants of a fallen building that littered the street. The occupant stepped from the car shouting and running toward the post in a obvious state of relief and excitement. The guards raised there rifles and fired until they were certain he was dead.

Bianca lowered her binoculars and calmly stated, "We need to get back to our hide. It will be dark soon."

We are holed up about a mile from the blockade and fence. If they are that determined to create a border and willing to go to such great and cruel lengths to maintain it than it must be safe on the other side. But how can we get there? How do we break through the barrier without getting caught - killed? Without contaminating the other side?

No comments:

Post a Comment